Eligibility and Enrollment - Coatesville Veterans Affairs Medical Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Coatesville Veterans Affairs Medical Center


Eligibility and Enrollment

Enroll Now!Enrolling for VA health care is quick and easy. Once you do, you can start benefitting from our services right away—and we'll take care of your health care needs for years to come. But you must enroll within five years from separation!

What Are My Medical Benefits?

Veterans have five years from their date of discharge to receive:

  • Free health care, medications and nursing home care for any combat-related condition
  • Full access to the VA's Medical Benefits Package
  • Enrollment in Priority Group 6, unless you're eligible for a higher priority group

Am I Eligible?

Combat Veterans, including activated Reservists and members of the National Guard, are eligible to enroll if:

  • You served on active duty in a theater of combat operation during a period of war after the Gulf War or in combat against a "hostile" force during a period of hostilities after Nov. 11, 1998.
  • Your discharge classification was honorable, general or under honorable conditions.
  • You were ordered to active duty by a federal declaration, served the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty, and have separated from active military service on honorable, general or under honorable conditions.
  • You were discharged from active duty before Jan. 28, 2003, and applied for enrollment on or after Jan. 28, 2008 (you are eligible for these enhanced benefits until Jan. 27, 2011).

What Are My Benefits After Five Years?

After the five years, your co-payment status will depend on whether your illness or injury is considered service-connected. To receive care that is not service-connected, you must make co-payments and disclose your prior year gross household income. (You may choose to decline to provide your financial information.)

What About Dental Benefits?

Combat Veterans may receive dental treatment as reasonably necessary for the one-time correction of dental conditions if:

  • You served on active duty, and your discharge classification was honorable, general or under honorable for a service period of at least 90 days.
  • You were not provided a complete dental examination (including dental X-rays).
  • You did not receive all appropriate dental treatment indicated by that examination within 90 days before your date of discharge.
  • You submitted an application for VA dental treatment within 180 days of discharge.

What Happens If I Don’t Enroll Within Five Years?

Your eligibility for enrollment and subsequent care is based on several factors, including:

  • Compensable service-connected disability
  • VA pension status
  • Catastrophic disability determination
  • Your financial circumstances

Theater of Combat

The following forms of documentation are used to determine service in a theater of combat operation:

  • Military service documentation that reflects service in a combat theater
  • Receipt of combat service medals
  • Receipt of imminent danger, hostile fire pay or tax benefits


Unless otherwise exempted, combat Veterans must disclose their prior year gross household income or decline to provide their financial information, and agree to make applicable co-pays for care or services that the VA determines are clearly unrelated to their military service. While income disclosure by a recently discharged combat Veteran is not a requirement, this information could allow for additional benefits such as eligibility for travel reimbursement, cost-free medication and/or medical care for services unrelated to combat.